Are you just relying on your medication to fix your depression? Anti-depressants can only do so much, you have to put a little work into it too.
I have found a few things that work for me. Come up with your own list and tape it to the wall somewhere where you will see it often.
Here is just a few of the things on my list that work for me:
- Wake up in the morning, look in the mirror and smile – It’s hard to beat the amazing power of a smile. Don’t fake it, make it genuine.
- Do something special for yourself – Commit to doing one thing that day to pamper yourself: get a massage, a pedicure, make and eat your favorite breakfast, buy flowers for yourself, soak in a hot bath, have some great sex (you can do this even if you don’t have a partner). Do something nice for yourself, just because you deserve it.
- Take a short walk around the neighborhood – Sometimes when I am feeling down, I put the baby in the stroller and take a nice little 30 minute walk. It’s awesome what a little exercise will do for your mood.
- Talk to someone about how you are feeling – Talk to your spouse or parents. If no one is around to jabber with, jump into a chat room and talk to a stranger.
- Write a blog post about all the positive things in your life – I haven’t done this one in a while, but it really does work. If you don’t have a blog, write a few positive things down in a notebook.
- Watch a funny movie or TV show – I don’t have a television, but I often will sit down with my little one a watch a cartoon or two.
- Get plenty of sleep – I need to practice what I preach, because I am sitting here at 1am writing this. If you don’t sleep enough at night, take a quick nap during the day.
I have plenty more of these quick fixes for a depressive mood. Pick one or two and try them out and see if they work for you. If not, think of your own things that make you feel a little better and write them down for future reference.
What do you do to lighten your mood a bit when you are depressed? Please leave a comment and let me know.